What questions should I ask builders about building a new home in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill region of North Carolina?
“Price per square foot” is NOT the most important thing to know.
Use this checklist of new home construction cost questions – and learn why to avoid asking “what’s your cost per square foot”? Contact Travars Built Homes for answers to these questions.
Questions to ask NC home builders: (Not) cost per square foot
- Why does price per square foot come out much higher for some homes than others, even though the size and layout look very similar?
- What comes included in this home, as a starting, “basic” build?
- Can you give me a detailed package that has everything in writing, so I can see just what’s already in there and what I need to add?
- How long will it take to build my new home?
Questions to ask NC home builders: Location and site work
- Where can you build my new home in NC?
- Is site work included in your price? Do you give that to me prior to contract?
- What does it cost to build this home on my lot, as opposed to on a lot in your community?
Questions to ask NC home builders: Floor plan layout and style
- How do I find a cost-effective floor plan?
- Why does a home with a large kitchen cost more to build than a home with a large great room?
- Why does an owners suite on the main floor cost more than an owners suite upstairs?
- Why does it cost more to have a sprawling footprint than one that has more square feet upstairs?
- Why does a home shaped like a “box” cost less to build than a home with “cutouts?”
- How much less does it cost to build a bonus room over a great room than to add a keeping room on the main floor?
- Why do contemporary home architectural styles cost more to build than traditional architectural styles?
Questions to ask NC home builders: Selections and features
- How much does a typical homebuyer pay in addition to the “base” price for your homes once they start including things like microwaves and other features that are in typical custom homes?
- How many choices do I have for selections in your “base” pricing?
- What kind of energy efficiency (features and processes) does this home have?
- How much do windows and doors matter when adding up costs?
- Does it cost more to have a carriage than a third bay in the garage?
- Is a sealed crawl space included?
- Are there built-ins? Trey ceilings? Trim around windows and doors? Crown moulding?